Friday, February 19, 2010

Genesee Cream Ale and Avanti Cigars...I've gone old school

I've smoked cigars for 14 years. Over the years, I've accumlated hundreds of premium (and bundled) handrolled cigars. I love Padrons, LaGloria Cubanas, Sancho Panza Extra Fuertes, Punch and Hoyo DeMonterrey's. I've got several hundred aging gracefully in 4 humidors. I enjoy a good cigar.

Along the way, I'm also a fan of good beer. I've also tried a ton of different beers. I'd say I've probably had over 800 now, with India Pale Ales, porters and stouts being my favorite styles.

So why last week, did I ghetto-ized myself and hit up the Genny Cream Ale and Avanti cigars instead of a Punch Rothschild and a Bell's Two-Hearted Ale?

Ah, cream ale.

When I was around 17, we had a few guys who had some killer fake I.D.'s. We'd hit the store and buy cases of Cinci Cream Ale in the short, stubby, 12oz. bottles that came in the heavy, cardboard case. The stuff was $6 a case and tasted amazing. Years went by, Cinci Cream Ale disappeared and so did the availability of cream ales. With the advent of microbrewing, many brewers brought cream ales back to their portfolios, but they never really caught on. A cream ale is sort of an ale/lager hybrid. Ale yeast, but sweet, lager taste.

Several years ago, I discovered Genesee Cream Ale out of New York state. Its an excellent CHEAP beer that reminds me of the beloved Cinci Cream Ale of my youth. The problem was, it was never available in Michigan. Until now. I discovered it in my local stores and can say I am quite happy. Will it replace craft beer for me? No, but it will fill a happy niche'.

As for cigars. I love a good, handrolled cigar. Nothing gives me more satisfaction than an hour with a good cigar. It makes me relax, and that is a good thing. However, I have my dark, cigar secret. I like Avanti's and have for many years. These cigars are dry-cured, and machine-made, and are all-tobacco (no homogenized tobacco binder or wrapper). They are made in Scranton, Pennsylvania, by the Avanti Cigar Company and are of the toscano (Italian) style. The Avanti's are brushed with anise (black licorice) and I swear its like eating/smoking Good N'Plenty candy. I am a fan of black liquorice, so this is just a bonus. Pair it up with a few fingers of bourbon, and you've got yourself a half hour of good times. Like craft beer, this inexpensive cigar won't replace my four humidors of handrolled ones, but it does afford me a cheap "luxury" when I don't feel like smoking an expensive 'gar. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where did you find the Genesee Cream Ale?

tagnamee@yahoo.com